Friday, September 7, 2012

Ultrasound #1 and #2

This is not a picture of my follicles, but it gives you an idea as to what the ultrasound image looks like.

Yesterday I had my first ultrasound and it went really well.  If you remember from our first appointment with Dr. Slater, we were told that the ideal situation would be for me to have 25 eggs good enough for extraction, 16 of which would mature enough to be fertilized with Nic's sperm (via ICSI).  Of those 16, only five or six will be transferable.   As of yesterday I was sitting at a total of 24 follicles(immature eggs). 12 of these follicles were measuring above 12 mm (the minimum size), with the potential of six follicles to grow to at least 12.  We discussed the possibility of pushing up my extraction date to Sunday, but Kim (my nurse) wasn't sure if we were there just yet.

Today I returned for my second ultrasound and received even BETTER news.  I'm still sitting at 24 follicles, but I now have 17 follicles higher than 12mm (with a few measuring at or ove 20-really good number) and the potential of THREE more reaching the minimum size requirement.  So, there is potentially 20 out of 24 eggs that will be extracted!  Now, whether they mature enough once extracted is another thing all together, but my thought process is: if I have a higher count follicles to be extracted,  there is a chance I will have a higher number of those that mature enough.  My could be totally wrong in my thought process as there really is NO guarantee of anything, but thinking this way gives me hope.

With my new results, Kim definitely feels that my extraction date will be moved up to Sunday.  I was supposed to have another ultrasound/blood drawal tomorrow (Saturday), but now I will have an instructions class to get me ready for Sunday.  If my extraction date gets moved up, that means I will have to take a HCG trigger shot and another dosage of my Fostimon and Merional (which I am soooo over being on).  I'll get a call later this afternoon which will give me further instruction-I feel like I'm awaiting instructions for a secret mission. . .haha.

Ready or not, here Sunday comes!!

POST-EDIT: I just received my secret mission call from ICRM and extraction is still planned for Monday.  My hormones level are REALLY good, but Dr. Slater wants to still proceed as originally planned.  Instead of an instruction class tomorrow I will have another ultrasound.  Hopefully, even more follicles have grown :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...