Friday, September 14, 2012

Making the Decision: Transfer Day (sorry, it's a little long)

Possibly our last picture as a family of three :)
Yesterday morning at 8:23am we received the phone call from ICRM that we had been waiting all week for, to see if we were going to be moving forward with our transfer or holding off until Saturday.  As I had previously said,after talking with Bret, we were hoping for a 5 day embryo transfer. So, I was a little surprised when Jana told us that we had a choice.   


My embryos: four good embryos on top and one no bueno embryo on bottom left 

She explained to us that of the five embryos that fertilized, only four of them looked good for transfer (if we chose to do it today) and had a good cell count-the fifth one only had two cells and the other four had six to eight.  She said that if we didn't do the transfer today, then we could wait until Saturday but they're were also some risks with that.  Ideally, we would want the embryos to keep growing and with a five day transfer the lab is able to pick the most competent embryos for transfer-we will have more information.  There is also a 55% chance of pregnancy resulting in a five day transfer (compared to a 45% chance with a three day transfer), but with all the positive information she also told us that we would run a risk of all the embryos dying.  She said sometimes, for unexplained reasons, the embryos can grow really well in the beginning and then just stop growing (and die), which would leave us with NO embryos for transfer.  She said there is also the chance that everything could continue to grow and all would be well for a Saturday transfer, we just don't know. Jana also told us that she feels Dr. Slater wouldn't have a preference either way, as there hasn't been any abnormalities with any of my test results. She said for us to talk it over and then get back to her.

After weighing out all the options, Nic and I didn't really feel a strong pull either way but we decided that no matter what day we decide to transfer the embryos, ultimately it's up to the Lord and if we are meant to get pregnant it will happen no matter what.  I called Jana back and let her know would proceed forward with today.

We felt good about our decision and went about getting ready for our day.  I spent a good majority of my time lying in bed sending positive thoughts and energy to my uterus.

When we arrive at ICRM, the take me back and give me some Valium, and then Dr. Slater entered the room: "So, I'm just curious, why did you guys decided to do a three day transfer instead of a five day transfer?"  My heart stops for a moment and I look to Nic for guidance.

"Well, when we spoke with Jana she said the embryos looked good today and we had the choice of a transferring today or Saturday.  She said we could also risk the embryos not making it to Saturday"

"Yeah, but there's a chance that the embryos won't make it through today either."  She says something else, to which I don't recall, because now I'm filled with nervousness as to whether or not Nic and I made the wrong decision.  Dr. Slater leaves and I look to Nic and he does his best to comfort me.  He reminds me of why we made our decision.  When Dr. Slater comes back into the room, Nic takes over the appointment because I can feel the tears coming on.

Nic asked Dr. Slater why it would be best to hold off until Saturday as apposed to us doing the transfer today, and she just explains everything we've already heard about the five day transfer. . .we will have more information, we can tell which embryos are the very best, etc.  Dr. Slater tried to stress that with doing a transfer today, while the embryos had a good cell count statistically only 2 out of 3 could result in pregnancy and we really didn't know which two (because there wasn't enough info).  Even with this new info, Nic and I decided to proceed with the transfer.

Me ready and waiting for the embryos to be transferred.

The transfer was a simple procedure.  Kim (my nurse) held the ultra sound wand (externally) to help guide Dr. Slater with the implantation.  After the implantation I rested 20 minutes and listened to some Jack Johnson.  I love Jack Johnson because his music is just so cool and chill and every time I hear any of his songs I just get a big smile on my face and think of my loving husband (he introduced me to Jack Johnson's music)-I figured since I wanted to send good, happy, loving vibes to my uterus this was the perfect choice of music :)

I've been on bed rest the last few days and I am DYING here!  I can only get up to use the rest room or to take a shower.  I want a change of scenery.  I want to cuddle with my baby girl.  This morning Nic had taken the baby gate down (from our living room to kitchen) so my best friend and her little girls would have an easier time getting from where I was to the kitchen (they came to make me breakfast and help Nic-which he TOTALLY appreciated); well, when he and G left for a birthday party, he left the gate down.  I was so, so, soooooooooooooooooooo tempted to go get something from the kitchen (Nic had stocked me up with things I may need, but it wasn't enough).  It was like the kitchen was just screaming my name!  But I knew Nic would kill me, so I was a good girl and stayed put :)

Post transfer has been good.  Nothing too painful.  It just hurts to laugh.  I'm having some cramping, but I can only hope that's a good thing.  The first day home, G came up to me (several times) and kissed my stomach.  She did this without being asked to, so maybe she knows something we don't.  Hurry and get here September 24th (though I know it's going to take FOREVER)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...