Saturday, September 22, 2012

2ww


Any of my friends that have gone through an IVF understand exactly what that means.  2ww stands for 2 Week Wait.  And let me tell you,  it. has. been. TORTURE!!!!  The 2ww is the length of time between embryo transfer and when you a) get a positive pregnancy test {fingers and toes crossed} or b) period begins.

The first part of this journey was filled with ultrasounds, daily shots, more ultrasounds, and blood tests, but now there is nothing else to do but wait; well, that and search Google for any possible indication that any symptoms could possibly result in a BFP (Big Fat Positive pregnany test-one of many acronyms I learned while trolling Google.) I have also discovered this little gem, the IVF Due Date Calculator.  

Since I was on bed rest for the first three days, it was easy to not wonder "what if" because I was too busy being bored out of my mind and completely uncomfortable, but now that I have the freedom to roam the house (and made the mistake of taking a week and a half off from work) I only have time to wonder "what if."  On Facebook, I belong to a couple of selling groups and whenever I see baby item postings I just want to say "If you still have this in 3 months, let me know!"  But I don't, because people would think me crazy. . .haha.  Clearly, I have baby(ies) on the brain.

One of the biggest anxieties I have felt during this 2ww is whether or not the remaining embryos (2) made it to Saturday (Sept. 15th) and were able to be frozen.  If they both made it, then statistically speaking (according to Dr. Slater), only one of the two embryos that were implanted should have settled down for nine months, resulting in pregnancy.  Now, if neither of my embryos made it to Saturday, then (statistically to Dr. Slater), both implanted embryos should result in pregnancy.  Dr. Slater told us that we would receive a letter in the mail letting us know what the results were, or, if we wanted, we could call to find out the results of the two remaining embryos.  No thank you!  As curious as I am, I would not been able to have the statistical information weighing over me as I wait to see what new adventures await me and my family.  I know the information Dr. Slater provided us is just a numbers game and there is really no guarantees when it come to statistics, but still, she is the expert.  She has supported research and results, while I only have a prayer in my heart (and the hearts of all of my friends-again THANK YOU!) that this IVF cycle turns out how Nic and I would want it to turn out.

2ww will officially be over September 24th and I'm becoming more and more nervous the closer it gets.   Whatever the results are, we are prepared.

Again, please remember: though I will be finding out the results on Monday (remember, I have three days to tell Nic), we ask that you please be patient with us in sharing the information.  Whether the results be positive or negative, we've decided on a months time to share the information with our friends and family.  We would like time to process everything.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...