Monday, August 27, 2012

Getting Knocked Up




Money is in (via a loan from my parents which we will be working hard to pay back-Neveyah Designs will ‘officially’ launch soon) and now it’s time to share the dirty details.  Remember how I said things will get a little TMI around here, well the next few posts that you see from me will definitely be TMI (just re-warning you). Okay, so here are the details:

I stopped taking birth control (BC) on Thursday, which means in a few days Mother Nature should come visit me.  On August 30th, we will head back to ICRM for another ultrasound to make sure everything looks good (eggs, lining, and everything else). I’m assuming everything will be A-Okay as there haven’t been any problems thus far.   September 4th , 6th , 7th , and 8th I will go in for blood work.  This blood work will check my hormone levels to make sure they are where they need to be to begin the procedure. 

September 10th is the anticipated egg retrieval date.  I think I’m more nervous about this day than the actual transfer day because of the possibility of pain.  When my friend had the retrieval procedure done, her husband told me he felt so bad for her because she could hardly walk afterwards.  They want to try and retrieve as many eggs as possible, so they go with the “No man (egg) left behind” kind of attitude and scrape EVERYTHING that they possibly can.  I’m a fan of walking and chasing after my crazy, energetic one year old, so being in pain while I try to keep up with her isn’t exactly what I would call “fun.”

After the retrieval, Nic’s champion swimmers will be injected into each of my eggs (I’m not sure if it’s a one to one ratio or just what).  And then our potential embryos will be watched in a petri dish by the wonderful lab technicians at ICRM.  They monitor them to make sure they are growing properly.  After three days (this would be September 13rh) of careful monitoring, and many prayers by us, they will transfer 2 embryos back into my anxiously waiting uterus.  The other embryos (hopefully 3, remember?) will be frozen to be used at a later date.  There is a slight possibility that our potential embryos would have to be monitored for five days, but at an extra $450, we’re going to try to avoid that as much possible. 

Once they embryos have been transferred into my uterus, I am instructed to have 2 days of what they call “Princess Days.” I am to do absolutely nothing but lie on the couch.  No laundry, no dishes, no stairs, and (sadly) no lifting of small children.  The no stairs and no lifting small children is what really sucks the most.  My bedroom is upstairs.  So, I will be confined to sleeping on the couch for three days (day of the procedure and two “Princess Days”).  Luckily, we have a full bath down stairs so I don’t have to worry about being stinky, but the kitchen is upstairs (our house is three levels)-only 4 stairs, but going up and down them multiple times probably isn’t the best idea.  Our bedroom (and Little G’s room) is upstairs too-the third level.  We’re not quite sure how we are going to manage everything, especially with the slight possibility that Nic will be working a second job soon but we know everything will work out.

After my “Princess Days” we just get to wait around until day 7 of post transfer (September 20th) and I will take my first (blood drawn) pregnancy test.  They want to see if I have elevated HCG, but typically there is no positive or negative reading of pregnancy.  Day 10 is what really matters.  Day 10 (September 23rd ) is whether we will find out for sure whether or not there is a Little Wardling that decided to make its self comfortable and settle down for nine months.  When pregnancy is confirmed, ICRM will monitor me for 10 weeks (2 more ultra sounds within those 10 weeks) and then release me to my OBGYN-which I still need to find.  I’ve gone, at least, four years without having an OBGYN, largely impart to the HORRIBLE experience we had with my last Dr.  So, I better start hustling in finding one.

It’s crazy to think that by the end of the month, we will know if Little G is going to be a big sister!  And with my sharing of our story being so public, Nic and I have decided on two things.  One, when it’s time for me to go get my blood work done to determine pregnancy; he will not go with me.  Having to go the extra mile to get pregnant, has taken out the element of surprise.  So, Nic will not be going with me to find out.  We have agreed that after three days of my blood work I will tell him the results.  I’ve always thought it so cute to see these fun little ways that wives had announced pregnancy to their husbands, and I wanted to have that.  We got to do that when we announced being matched with our birth mom to our friends and family, so I wanted to be able to do something special.  Just for Nic.  And as much as I know it will pain him to wait, Nic has agreed-such a loving husband.  Which brings me to the next thing we decided; we will not be sharing our news (positive or negative) with friends and family for a while.  There hasn’t been an “official” time span determined, but we just want time to ourselves to process things.  Everyone will be on pins and needles I’m sure, but we ask that you please be patient and don’t ask.  And trust me, it will be super hard for me not to share the wonderful good news with everyone, but this is what we feel is best for our little family.  

So, keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  And send us plenty of baby vibes. The next couple of weeks are sure going to be an adventure for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...