Tuesday, April 2, 2013

3.5 = a lot of changes for our family.

With the changes that took place with our family early last year, there were some major adjustments that we had to make.  It was a difficult time for our family, but somehow we we were able to make it through.  We hoped and prayed that Nic would be able to find a second job to help supplement the difference, but no such luck.  Now, a year later all that is about to change.


Do you see that color coordinated goodness? Well, in two weeks are lives are going to get busy (and possibly a little complicated).  In two weeks Nic will not only be running his lab and pouring models for a local orthodontist, he will also be working for Idaho Driving School and WDS (an inbound call center for Verizon), that means he will be working three and a half jobs (oh, and in case you were wondering, his lab schedule and work for the ortho are not on there-yet).  Crazy, right?  

I am grateful for Nic's willingness to provide for our family and I am truly grateful for these blessings from the Lord, but why did it all have to happen NOW, just two months before baby boy is to arrive?! That is just too much change for this mama.  I like my change in stages, not all at once.  When I asked Nic how we were going to do this he told me "Well, you're going to have to learn to ask for help."  And he's right.  I will freely admit that asking for help is not my forte, it's something I struggle with.  I feel by asking people for help I am inconveniencing them and being a burden and that's the last thing I want.  But if I'm to remain sane during the last two months of pregnancy and after baby arrives, I'm going to have to step out of my comfort zone and ask.  Also, with Nic working 3.5 jobs, it's also bringing another change that I really hadn't thought about-me NOT returning to work.

When I shared the news of these major changes for our family with my mom (especially when Nic starts his regular schedule with WDS 3:30 pm-12:00 am) she said "You're not going to go back to work, right mija?" Her words totally caught me by surprise and I told her I had wanted to, but I really hadn't thought about it and I started crying.  I love, love, LOVE the work that I do.  Massage therapy is truly my passion, but with Nic being away from home as much as he's going to be and with our plan to never put our children in day care, me returning to work simply isn't a possibility right now.  This is a hard decision for me.  I have worked since my junior year of high school (the only time I took off was when I returned to school for massage therapy and even that was hard), and to no longer help contribute to our family budget is going to be a hard truth for me to face.  But I also realize there are other ways for me to contribute to our family-most importantly by staying home and be the primary caretaker for our children.  I would like to work at minimum two days a month in my office and possibly expand my business with employees, but working out all those details is going to take some time.  

Another change is going to be our family routine, I think we have all been spoiled by Nic being home as much as he has been able to this last year being his own boss.  G loves her daddy time and it's so nice to have breakfast and dinner together as a family.  And it's wonderful to all be here for our nighttime routine, but with the changes those sacred times are going to be few and far in between which means that we will have to eat up every minute that we are able to have daddy at home.  I'm sure G will be a little sad in the beginning (and I will too), but Nic and I know that this small sacrifice (okay, it really is a big one) will bring about great blessings for our family.

Here's to a new adventure!



1 comment:

  1. The adjustment to being a full-time stay at home Mamma is a hard adjustment. Just lose yourself in all the work to be done at home and with the kiddos. I took me awhile to adjust. In fact not until I had to go back to work when i was pregnant with Elaiza and I saw others caring for and watching my sweet Emma, me missing out on that and my home looking like a disaster, did I really appreciate what it meant to be a stay at home Mamma. It is soooo worth it Elaine. If it wasn't Nick would definitely not sacrifice himself like he's about to do. Hopefully things will adjust in some way that way he won't have to work so much, but until then it's worth whatever sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...