Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Assume the Position: Water Ultrasound and Plan of Care with ICRM-Part I

"Assume the position!" Okay, this isn't something Dr. Slater (or any OBGYN) has said to me, but that's what you feel like when they pull the stirrups out and ask you to put your feet in; it's a position you NEVER get used to.  I always think I'm the only one that has a difficult time relaxing and I told Dr. Slater: "I never get used to doing this."  She told me that if it was something that I got used to, it would be a bad thing because that would mean I had been in there office too much.  Thank you Dr. Slater-I will take the awkwardness and comfortableness any time!

This morning I had my water ultra-sound, which means I had to down 33 oz water in an hour period.  I finished about 1/4 of water and I seriously felt like I was going to be sick.  But I kept chugging.  I finished my water during the drive to ICRM, and about 10 minutes from the office I began to feel every bump and unevenly paved road along the way, not fun.

Once we arrived, I was asked to empty my bladder.  I'll admit I was a little upset because I felt like I drank all that water for nothing, but all is well.  I "assumed the position" and learned some very interesting things.  First, I learned I have a small cervix*, that was one of the first things Dr. Slater told me ("Has anyone ever told you that you have a small cervix?").  I also learned I have a small uterus.  Most uterus' measure 3x5x7 and mine measures 3x5x4, so not too terribly smaller but it is "small."  Good news: I have more follicles.  During this ultrasound we were able to see that I have 16 follicles (3 more than last time) on my right and 10 on my left (number hasn't changed).  I was excited that my follicle count had increased, even if it was just by 3.  I can only hope that my follicle count will continue to increase (increased follicle count leads to increased follicles dropping which leads to increased mature eggs-that's the hope anyways).

Everything else looked great-I was told I have very healthy ovaries and again told that I have no cysts on my ovaries (curse you PCOS!).  After my ultrasound, I had more lab work done-yay.  Blah! Not really, but it's part of the process.  This lab work consisted of an infectious disease panel, anti-mullarian, and a test to check all my hormone levels.

After my lab work was done, Nic and I were swooped away to meet with Jana, where I was filled with both excitement and despair.  Be sure to read PART II.


*I was curious how a small cervix and uterus would affect a pregnancy.  So far, I've learned a small cervix can lead to preterm birth.  This isn't something I'm too excited about as I'm assuming it will mean I will have to be put on bed rest as to make sure that the baby (or babies) enjoy their stay as long as possible.  I don't think I'm made for bed rest :(  But once pregnancy is confirmed, I'll be able to find out more from my OBGYN.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...