Friday, June 15, 2012

ICRM-Part II: "What If"

When it comes to IVF, people always wonder about the "What if."  With any pregnancy there is a "what if" but it seems with IVF the "what if" is greater-mostly due to the huge financial burden IVF places on a family.

So, "the what-if's" and what they mean:

What If. . .#1: What if the retrieval (of my eggs) and transfer (of embryos) go well and the pregnancy test is positive?  Well, if everything works like we hope it will, then Baby G will have a baby brother or sister, or both.  And that will make us super happy :)

What If. . .#2: What if the retrieval and transfer goes accordingly, but it doesn't 'take'?  Well, if you remember from Part I, if I drop all 23 follicles, 16 mature, and 5 (or 6) are transferable, Dr. Slater will only transfer 2 and the other 3 (or 4) will be frozen.  If the first 2 do not take, then we will have to have the other ones transferred (the exact amount of the transfer is not known, that will be determined by Dr. Slater).  Luckily (I guess you could say), having the remaining embryos transferred will be a fraction of the cost of the initial process.

What If. . .#3: What if there is no retrieval and transfer? This is the most worst case scenario (yes, I know that was an example of horrible English).  For there to be no retrieval would mean despite the shots and injections that no eggs dropped.  I haven't done the complete research, but I think for there to be no retrieval would be HIGHLY unlikely.  I freely admit though that I am not sure.  For there to be no transfer would mean though they were able to retrieve my eggs, none matured enough that would make them good candidates to be transferred back into my body.  The next step?  We would have to start the IVF process over from the very beginning with no discount this time (IVF and ICSI alone is a combined total of $9, 995).  Before Dr. Slater came in to check my resting follicles, I told Nic "this HAS to work! If it doesn't we'll have to start over from the very beginning." Being the loving husband that he is, he told me not to worry about it and emphasised that I can't afford to think about it because we don't want that negative energy in my body.  So true hubby.  So true.

There you have it.  The three major "What If's".  Are we nervous? Surprisingly, no.   Does it suck that we have to go through this process?  Yes :(. I have more feelings on this matter, but I'll save that for another post.  Now it's time for Part III.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...